The City of Myrtle Beach is gearing up for it’s annual Military Appreciation Days with events scheduled to inspire you and remember our military.
Myrtle Beach and The Grand Strand are home to thousands of veterans, and was host city to the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, which is now Market Common.
• Junior ROTC Drill Meet – 9:00 a.m., Saturday, May 6, 2023, Myrtle Beach Pelicans’ Stadium, 1251 21st Avenue North
Junior ROTC units from the area compete in the Horry County JROTC Drill Meet. Come out and support these fine young men and women who learn discipline, values and esprit de corps as they show off the hard work they have practiced all year long.
• Military Family Members Social – 12:00 p.m., Saturday, May 6, 2023, Myrtle Beach Pelican’s Stadium, 1251 21st Avenue North
Stick around after the Drill Meet for friendly social gathering of military veterans and retirees along with their families.
• Myrtle Beach Pelicans’ Military Appreciation Game Night – Saturday, May 20, 2023, Myrtle Beach Pelican’s Stadium, 1251 21st Avenue North
Nothing is better than baseball at the beach! Catch the Pelicans as they play host to Augusta GreenJackets, Low-A Affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Game time will 4:30 p.m.
• Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall Exhibit – Thursday through Sunday Evening, May 25-28, 2023, Field at Crabtree Memorial Gymnasium, 1004 Crabtree Lane
– Opening Ceremony – 1:00 p.m., Friday, May 26, 2023
– Remembrance Ceremony – 2:00 p.m., Saturday, May 27, 2023
– Closing Ceremony – 1:00 p.m., Sunday, May 28, 2023
• Fourth Annual Veterans Victory Walk – 6:00 a.m., Saturday, May 27, 2023, Grand Park, 1119 Farrow Parkway
To find out how you can participate, click here.
• Military Appreciation Days Parade – 10:30 a.m., Saturday, May 27, 2023, along Farrow Parkway, The Market Common
US Army Veteran and Actress Caitlin Bennett, from NBC’s “Quantum Leap” will serve as Grand Marshal.
• Military Appreciation Days Picnic and Exhibits – 11:30 a.m., Saturday, May 27, 2023, Valor Memorial Garden, 1120 Farrow Parkway
• Jack Platt Veterans’ March with Battlefield Cross Ceremony – 9:00 a.m., Monday, May 29, 2023, Along Ocean Boulevard, 16th to Ninth Avenues North.
Veterans march on Ocean Boulevard in a solemn remembrance of Memorial Day on Monday. It originated with World War II veteran Jack Platt. The event is not a parade, but rather a chance for veterans to collectively observe the meaning of Memorial Day. The public is welcome to attend the march to show their support, too.
• Memorial Day Remembrance Ceremony – 11:00 a.m., Monday, May 29, 2023, Myrtle Beach Convention Center, 2101 North Oak Street
The annual Memorial Day Remembrance Ceremony at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center focuses on those who served our country and paid the ultimate price for freedom. Veterans from every conflict and branch are recognized at this solemn event, which features a brass band performance, speakers and Missing Man Table ceremony.• Military Documentary – Monday, May 29, 2023, Grand 14 Cinema, 4002 DeVille Street
• Festive Brass Concert Performance – 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 30, 2023, Ballroom ABC, Myrtle Beach Convention Center, 2101 North Oak Street
• Veterans Day Ceremony – 11:00 a.m., Friday, November 11, 2023, Myrtle Beach Convention Center, 2101 North Oak Street
Don’t forget to visit Warbird Park in Market Common for a look back at history. Static displays of aircraft that once called Myrtle Beach Air Force Base home. Warbird Park is home to The 9/11 Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and numerous other memorials of past conflicts. It’s a must see.